What is a Good Score on the GMAT?

If you’re looking to get into a good business school, you’ll need to take the GMAT and you’ll need to get good scores on your GMAT. But what is the GMAT and what is considered good GMAT scores? The information in this article will tell you everything you need to know about taking the test, how its scored, and how to figure out where you stand among other test-takers.

What is the GMAT and How is it Scored?

The GMAT exam is used for almost 90 percent of new MBA enrollments, according to MBA.com. It’s an exam that allows you to showcase your best qualities and skills that matter the most to business school. It also shows schools that you’re serious about your graduate business education. If you’re wondering how to stand out among the other MBA applicants, doing good on the GMAT is your answer.

When you take the GMAT exam, you will get 5 different scores. Your scores will be formulated like this:

  • You will receive a total score, which ranges from 200-800 and is based on the Math and Verbal sections.
  • A math sub-score, ranging from 0-60, which is based on the number of questions you answer, get right, and the difficulty of the questions you get right.
  • A verbal sub-score, ranging from 0-60, which is based on the number of questions you answer, get right, and the difficulty of the questions you get right.
  • A score for your AWA (Analytical Writing Assessment), ranging from 0-6, which is based on average scores by two readers.
  • An Integrated Reasoning sub-score, ranging from 1-8, which is based on the questions you answer correctly.

You will also receive a percentile ranking, which simply indicates the percent of test takers that you performed better than. For example, if your percentile ranking is 80 percent, that simply means that you did better than 80 percent of the other text takers, while 20 percent of test takers did as well or better than you.

How do you Know What is a Bad Score and What is a Good Score?

According to the Princeton Review, each school has different ideas of what a good score looks like. Yale or Harvard for instance, is going to expect higher scores than a public state college, for example. There are however statistics that can help you understand how you stack up against other test-takers. The top scores can land you spots in the most prestigious MBA programs around the country.

  • Below Average Scores:

– Total Score: Below 550

– Math Sub-score: 37 or below

– Verbal Sub-score: 27 or below

– AWA: 4 or below

– Integrated Reasoning Sub-score: 4 or below

  • Average Scores (50 percentile rankings):

– Total Score: 550-640

– Math Sub-score: 38-47

– Verbal Sub-score: 28-34

– AWA: 4.5-5

– Integrated Reasoning Sub-score: 5-6

  • Top Scores (90 percentile rankings):

– Total Score: 710-800

– Math Sub-score: 51 or above

– Verbal Sub-score: 40 or above

– AWA: 6

– Integrated Reasoning Sub-score: 8

If you are looking to get into a good MBA program, you’ll need to do your best on the GMAT exam. Good GMAT scores can ensure you begin your graduate business degree on the best note possible, ensuring your successful future in business.

Also see: Top 10 Best Online MBA Programs